How your dermatologist in Winston Salem, Thomasville, and Kernersville, NC, can help when you have a rash
Skin rashes are one of the most common problems a dermatologist treats. There are many types of skin rashes, caused by many different things, and your dermatologist knows just what to do for them.
Dr. Paul Kostuchenko and the providers at Westgate Dermatology & Laser Center provide a wide range of dermatology services, including the treatment of rashes. They have several convenient office locations in Winston Salem, Thomasville, and Kernersville, NC, to help you.
Let’s look at the different types of rashes, which can be caused by:
- Heat and humidity can produce pimple-like blemishes caused by blocked pores.
- Allergies to common irritants like plants, flowers, and pollens. Poison ivy is one of the most common allergy-related rashes.
- Medication-related rashes are commonly caused by some antibiotics. These rashes can cover large areas of your body.
Other types of rashes are due to skin inflammation. Some examples are:
- Contact dermatitis is a non-itchy rash caused by chemical exposure to your skin.
- Atopic dermatitis, also known as eczema, occurs in folds of skin, on your torso, behind your knees, or on your neck or face.
Sometimes a rash will go away on its own, but you can’t count on that. You can try some over-the-counter products to relieve the itchy symptoms, including:
- Anti-itch sprays, lotions, or creams
- Oatmeal baths
- Antihistamine medications
Severe rashes should be treated by a dermatologist. Your dermatologist may recommend:
- Prescription-strength oral and topical antihistamine medications
- Steroid medications to relieve itching
- Lotions or creams containing antibiotics or cortisone
A rash can make you self-conscious and miserable. You don’t have to put up with a troublesome, irritating rash when help is just a phone call away.
To learn more about the different types of rashes and how your dermatologist can help you get relief, call Dr. Paul Kostuchenko at Westgate Dermatology & Laser Center. You can reach him in Winston Salem, NC, at (336) 768-1280, Thomasville, NC, at (336) 714-0238, or in Kernersville, NC, at (336) 768-1280, so call now.