Posts for tag: wrinkles
The telltale signs of aging skin—wrinkles, puffy eyes, age spots—may start to appear as we grow older. We can’t fight the aging process, but we can take steps now to help reduce and prevent wrinkles from appearing prematurely.
Many factors can contribute to the onset of wrinkles, which are frequently produced by years of unprotected sun exposure in combination with each person’s unique genetic predisposition. Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. As we age, our skin loses its elasticity, is less capable of retaining moisture and is slower to heal. All of these contribute to the development of wrinkles and sagging skin.
How Can I Slow the Progression of Wrinkles?
Daily skincare and proper sun protection are important factors in slowing the aging process, diminishing fine lines and minimizing wrinkles.
- Take your vitamins. Many vitamins are good for the skin. Vitamin C, a natural antioxidant found in citrus fruits and dark green leafy vegetables, can help reduce the appearance of sun damage.
- Apply sunscreen. Protecting yourself from sun exposure can help prevent the progression of fine lines. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends applying a sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30 to protect against harmful UV rays.
- Moisturize. Dry skin causes the skin to look dull and aged. To prevent dry skin, apply moisturizer every day.
- Get your beauty sleep. When your body doesn’t get enough sleep, it produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Keep your skin looking and feeling young by getting at least seven hours of sleep every night.
- Avoid tanning beds. Tanning beds emit harmful UVA rays and are never 'safe' alternatives to the sun.
- Take care of your hands. Our hands are often the first part of our body to reveal signs of aging, as they are the most used and exposed parts of the body. Protect the hands by wearing gloves, moisturizing and applying sunscreen.
- Quit smoking. Smoking may damage more than your lungs—it causes skin aging and wrinkles around the mouth.
Like it or not, wrinkles are a natural part of aging. Even the most diligent skincare regimen or the most expensive wrinkle cream won’t totally eliminate your fine lines. You can significantly reduce the appearance of your wrinkles, however. Start taking care of your skin now, embrace your age and love the skin you’re in!
Find out how this simple cosmetic treatment can take years off your face in no time.
Do you hate that the first thing you seem to notice when you smile are the lines around your mouth and eyes? If so, then you may be considering different cosmetic options for refreshing your appearance. It’s important for our patients to know that they don’t have to undergo extensive procedures in order to achieve a more youthful look. Dr. Paul Kostuchenko, Dr. Jenny Lee Stone, and Anne Tyson Edwards, PA-C are happy to offer Botox for smoothing away certain lines and wrinkles from the face.
How does Botox work?
Botox is a cosmetic injectable that works by disrupting the signals from the nerves to the muscles, which prevents the muscles from contracting. Since the muscles are temporarily unable to contract this will automatically smooth away certain lines and wrinkles from the face.
Botox is most often used to target lines and wrinkles around the eyes, mouth, nose, forehead, and eyebrows. Wrinkles that are accentuated when making facial expressions will respond best to Botox treatment, while wrinkles caused by gravity or sun damage will not. Dealing with laugh lines or crow’s feet? Botox can smooth those lines away in minutes.
What should I expect from Botox treatment?
The procedure itself is very straightforward and simple, taking only a few minutes. Since there is no recovery period, our providers can administer your Botox injections when it works with your schedule and then you can immediately get back to work or your daily routine. Side effects are mild and will go away within a day or two.
Before administering Botox, some patients may choose a numbing gel to reduce any discomfort. Botox injections are extremely thin and most patients report feeling nothing more than a very slight burning or pinch. Of course, those who are sensitive may want to discuss numbing the area prior to getting Botox.
When will I see results?
While dermal fillers can produce results almost immediately, it will take a few days to see the results of your Botox treatment. Results last about 3-4 months, although if you are happy with the way you look, you can come back in for maintenance injections to refresh your results and to make it last longer.
Interested? Give us a call! Your consultation appointment is FREE
Are you interested in what Botox can do for your appearance? If so, then let’s sit down and talk about it. Call Westgate Dermatology and Laser Center in Winston-Salem. Dial (336) 768-1280 for Winston-Salem. (Note: We only provide cosmetic services at our Winston Salem office)