Find the solution that will finally help you manage your acne symptoms.
Acne is one of the most common complaints for patients of all ages. While some people may just let the issue run its course, our Winston-Salem, NC, dermatologists Dr. Paul Kostuchenko, Dr. John Southard, and Dr. Jenny Lee Stone, understand that many people want to nip their acne in the bud. Luckily, there are many ways in which to do this—read below to learn more!
Your habits and lifestyle can play a major role in the health of your skin. If you are prone to breakouts here are some tips to reduce your acne symptoms,
- Stay hydrated
- Using acne-fighting cleansers and at-home products
- Wash with warm (not hot) water
- Wash your face twice a day
- Use an exfoliant
- Be gentle with your skin
- Don’t pick at your skin
- Use sunscreen daily
- Clean your cell phone screen regularly to remove germs
- Use oil-free hair and styling products
If your acne requires more aggressive care, then our dermatologists can provide a wide variety of treatment options to help you get your acne under control. Of course, it’s important to understand that treating acne is a process that takes time. Acne cannot be cured overnight, no matter how effective a product might be. It will take several weeks to see if the medication or product is helping your breakouts. Common acne treatments include,
- Topical treatments (e.g. retinoid)
- Salicylic acid or azelaic acid
- Oral contraceptives (for women dealing with hormonal acne)
- Isotretinoin (for severe cystic and inflammatory acne)
- Laser therapy
- Chemical peels
When to See a Dermatologist
Are you wondering if it’s time to call our Winston-Salem, NC, skin doctor about your acne issues? Here’s when you should turn to a doctor for care,
- Your acne isn’t responding to at-home treatments or is getting worse
- You have severe acne (e.g. inflammatory or cystic acne)
- You are feeling depressed or embarrassed by your acne
While you may want to try simple over-the-counter and DIY treatments to see if your acne responds to it first, if they aren’t working for you or if your acne is too severe for these milder treatments, then it’s time to see a dermatologist who can create a customized and more effective treatment plan.
Struggling with Acne? Give Us a Call!
Westgate Dermatology and Laser Center has offices in Winston-Salem and Thomasville, NC, to serve you better. Call one of our offices today at either (336) 768-1280 for Winston Salem and (336) 714-0238 for Thomasville.